Friday, July 19, 2013

Not Your Typical Review Games

Need some new ways to engage your students when it comes time to review? Here are some games that my students rave about:

1. Cash Cab- Depending on your class size, place the students in groups of four. Set up the desks like "cars." Pass out white boards (or white paper) to the "drivers." As I go through the questions, all drivers are responsible for writing down the answers on their whiteboard. Each group gets about minute to discuss the answer, but not talking too loud so that other groups don't steal their answers. When I call 3-2-1, the drivers hold up their whiteboard at the same time. I have students put a tally mark on the top right hand side of their board if they get the question correct. You'd be surprised how honest the students are, they think that I am tracking their points but I'm really not. At the end of the game I do a BONUS question and groups wager an amount. Whichever group has the highest points is declared the winner of cash cab. You can get more creative and give the students flashlights for the RED LIGHT CHALLENGE questions and which ever group flashes first gets to answer the question.


2. Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? - For this game, I sometimes change "fifth grader" to whatever unit or topic you are covering. I use the Geico caveman's picture for "Are You Smarter Than A Caveman." So get creative and change it up to give your students a good laugh. If you are familiar with the game you know that there are categories by grade, I usually do it by topic. I randomly select about 5 contestants per game from my class and they use whiteboards to answer the questions. The contestants are seated in front of the class and they answer all of the same questions.  Each contestant gets one "phone a friend" life line. This game actually goes by pretty quickly, so I always make sure I have prepared questions for two games. The student with the most points wins the game. So what about the students who are not playing? They are writing down the questions and answering them on a sheet of paper. They will use this sheet as a study guide. If you have good classroom management then all of your students will be on task during the game without talking. Plus, the students seated never know when they will be called upon by one of their classmates for assistance in the game.


3. Deal or No Deal- For this game the class is divided in half, I actually arrange their seats so that each of the sides are facing each other with space in the middle for myself to walk around. The left side of the room gets the even number "cases" and the right side of the room gets the odd number cases." The cases are silver construction paper that have a number on the front and a question on the back. I stapled yarn connecting the sides so that the students can hand them around their necks. Each case has a question, answer and a point value on the back. When a number is called by a student on the opposite side of the room the student whose number has been called reads their question aloud. The student who called out that number must answer the question. If they get the question wrong, the case is still in play, if they get it correct that student takes off their case. All correct answers give positive points to the team; all incorrect answers are subtracted from the teams score. I do put the word BONUS on the back of two cases (one odd one even), these questions, when wrong do not get subtracted from the score but they are out of play once read.  I usually do not allow teams to discuss the answers because things can get chaotic but you can add them in if you'd like.

Do you have a "not so typical" review game? Share it with us by commenting below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to School Icebreaker: Who's Who?

Tired of the same old "Tic Tac Toe" icebreaker? Try my "Who's who" icebreaker! Who's Who: The teacher se...