Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Who says you can't use Brainpop in the High School?!


Brainpop is a teacher resource that has been around since 1999. I have used Brainpop for about 4 years now, and recently they have added some fantastic videos for all subject areas. Teachers at the high school level sometimes feel Brainpop may not be age appropriate for their students....and I say YOU'RE WRONG! The videos are engaging and my high school students laugh just as loud as my middle schoolers. 

1. When should I use Brainpop? I use Brainpop when I introduce new content or at the end as a review of a concept.
2. What are students doing while the video is playing? Brainpop goes beyond textbook information, this is great because you as a teacher can create a variety of learning strategies with each video clip. Sometimes I give my students guided listening questions, a single essential question , or a KWL chart to complete while the video is playing.
3. What other features does Brainpop provide? Brainpop has a quiz feature for every video clip. When using this feature I let my students take it as a class. Because Brainpop records all scores for each video quiz; my classes compete with my other class periods for the highest score.
4. How much does it cost? For a 1 year subscription it is $205, I suggest having your school or even district buy a subscription and share the username and password. The app is free to download and free to stream on their website.


Here are my favorite Wold History clips via Brainpop: 

1. Black Death                                                         2. Democracy
3. Rise of the Roman Empire                                    4. Fall of the Roman Empire
5. Sumerians                                                           6. Athens
7. Religion                                                              8. Ramadan
9. Pax Romana                                                        10. Middle Ages 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to School Icebreaker: Who's Who?

Tired of the same old "Tic Tac Toe" icebreaker? Try my "Who's who" icebreaker! Who's Who: The teacher se...